Valentine’s Day elicits images of love, roses, delicious chocolates and gifts. It’s also a day for your salon to pump up the volume on special treatments, services and offers.
To that end, I thought I’d share some salon marketing tips with you to lure and tempt your salon clients.
Design Splendid Salon Menus
Adding some Valentine’s Day extravagance to your salon menu is the best place to start when planning for this year’s Day of Love. Here are few ways to do this:
- Select hair, nail, waxing and makeup services that have moderate demand and then tailor them to the holiday by adding ingredients, such as strawberries, chocolate, champagne or roses.
- Feature services that evoke the day like pink hair extensions, heart-shaped braids or Mad Men cuts for the guys.
- Create guys-only menu items using words like “natural,” “low maintenance,” “easy,” and “quick.”
Show Your Clients Some Love
Looking for some creative ways to coddle your clients? Here are some general marketing ideas you can use for client appreciation leading up to Valentine’s Day:
- For every $25 gift certificate purchased, include a small box of branded chocolates with your salon’s name on the box, or include a bottle of sparkling wine or cider if a $50 gift certificate is purchased.
- When filling out a new client card, ask for the phone number and email address of your client’s sweetheart. That way, you can contact the significant other to tip them off to your delightful and convenient Valentine’s Day offers.
- Give clients a sample product or goodie bag if they book an appointment.
- Design an array of gift certificate specials. For instance, gift givers who purchase a $100 gift certificate pay only $85 – or $150 gift certificate costs only $125. The higher the value, the greater the savings.
- Use your website and Facebook Page to encourage online salon booking the week of Valentine’s Day.
- Double your loyalty points or rewards for all product and services purchases by your most loyal customers in February.
- Use your salon management software to create a special Valentine’s Day email greeting for your clients.
Indulge Singles on Valentine’s Day
Not everyone has a significant other. There are a lot of single people who would love to pamper themselves at your salon. Here are some ideas that might lure them in:
- Host a single Ladies’ Night featuring voluptuous blowouts and a “bedroom eyes” makeup application class. Give each lady a rose as they leave.
- Host a Guys Night, featuring Blend the Grey Away hair treatments that reduce grey and reshade hair color. Have men’s grooming tools available for purchase, and give out cigars. Invite a local microbrewery to come and offer beer tastings between services.
- Men are more likely to take a sample in a more private environment, so send the guys home with a free sample of product.
- Attract high schoolers by hosting Mother/Daughter and Father/Son days. While Mom is getting her usual do, show the girls how to create a simple date updo or create a new look with a stylish blow-out. Similarly, while dad is getting a straightforward trim, offer the boys intricate cuts and shaved designs. Hosting an event like this can boost your pre-bookings for prom and homecoming.
Gush over Your Staff
It’s no secret that engaged employees—those who see themselves as aligned and connected with the brand and culture of your business—are happier and more likely to deliver exceptional customer service. Your customers are more likely to feel nurtured by your salon when your employees feel nurtured, too! During February, you could:
- Send Valentines or notes of appreciation to your staff noting personal traits and talents you appreciate.
- Post customer raves about staff members on social media and in employee break and lunch areas.
- Hold a Valentine’s Day luncheon or send chocolates or flowers to each employee at home.
Superb Salon Retail
Your salon’s ambiance influences your clients’ decisions to make retail purchases. Here are some ways to achieve the right romantic mood and boost your retail sales:
- Create cross-promotional offers with other local merchants. For instance, team up with a local photographer and invite clients to come in for a Valentine’s Day photo the weekend before. Books clients to come in for hairstyling, makeup and a photo shoot with the photographer. Two days before Valentine’s Day, invite clients back and encourage them to bring a guest (You can see the potential for a future referral client, can’t you?) to enjoy a pre-Valentine’s Day soiree where they can purchase their romantic pics, buy makeup and peruse lingerie. You could also work with a unique lingerie boutique and a nearby restaurant to cross-promote their gift certificates and the yummiest bakery in town.
- Pre-package and display men’s grooming gadgets near your checkout area.
- Display lip glosses, hair accessories or other items that would make good Valentine gifts for parents to give their teenaged daughters.
- Use signage and custom Valentine’s Day cards so that clients see your gift certificates, products or gift baskets as gifts for teachers, coaches, and grandparents.
I hope these marketing tips come in handy this Valentine’s Day as you stylize your clients’ looks and increase your revenue stream.
About the Author