Quick fun fact: 55% of page visitors spend less than 15 seconds per blog post…what does this mean for you?
You need to get to the point fast.
You need to keep your readers on their toes.
You need to say something interesting.
When working on making your blog achieve greatness, keep in mind that many of your readers have extremely low attention spans. Figuring out how to snag the attention of a viewer can seem difficult, but here we’ll go through the different ways you can mix it up with your content, and keep your viewers engaged and interested.
1. Industry News: Breaking news is always compelling. Wanting to know what’s going on in the world is human nature. The same could be said about those that are immersed in a particular industry. The most clicked on topics, according to Time, were articles that referenced news. Start paying attention to what’s going on in your industry.
Running a blog means that you’re a subject matter expert—leverage that, and bring the news straight to your readers. Giving your readers that added value will help to increase their engagement with your blog, from becoming a returning blog visitor to subscribing to your blog for regular updates.
2. Mixed Media: Sometimes a reader likes to cut through the drudgery of the day when they are looking for good content to view online. Including media rich content such as videos, pictorials, and infographics could help to engage blog visitors who are looking to avoid text-heavy pieces.
With videos, you can create a quick, 2-minute feature on a topic, like this.
Pictorial posts are just a fancy way to say a post that centers on the use of pictures to drive home the main point of your article. Picking out great, meaningful and relevant pictures for your post will create an environment that is both visually appealing and interesting for the reader.
Infographics are just another visual way to deliver content to your viewers, especially the ones that are looking for something quick!
3. Roundups: Roundups can mean a number of things. Whether you’re aggregating various newsworthy items that happened in the industry, or listing out some quick stats and facts about your business, or just simply giving a summary for a few the recent blog posts you’ve put up on your site, roundups are a quick and easy way to put a variety of content out to your readers, all in one post.
4. Lists: This one is self-explanatory but important to note. Lists are VERY popular among blog readers. It gives readers the chance to just skim a page and quickly gather all the information they feel is relevant to them. Lists also pique the interest of viewers…sometimes it’s just fun to see what made the cut.
5. How to: NOT lose a viewer in 15 seconds: …and we’ve come full circle. Instructional “how-to” blog posts give the writers of the blog a chance to prove their subject matter expertise while giving their viewers valuable information they might not get anywhere else. Creating how-to posts are easy, effective and provide your readers with a task to perform, making it one of the most engaging types of post.
Keep your blog dynamic and keep your blog interesting. However, at the end of the day, great content is what really matters. Check out more tips on how to improve your small business blog here!
If you’re looking to skip the middle man and just get our content straight to your inbox, subscribe to our blog today!
About the AuthorFollow on Google Plus Follow on Twitter Follow on Linkedin