Sunday, May 12th -- what does that date mean to you? It should mean a lot, because It’s never too early to prepare for Mother’s Day. Whether you’re the owner of a spa or a salon, there is no doubt that Mother’s Day is a seriously profitable holiday that you can’t afford to miss out on. In fact, the average American consumer is expected to spend over $186 on mom.
While there are many ways to help prepare your business for Mother’s Day, there are three tips that can help you achieve what truly matters - your bottom line. You want to increase bookings and your revenue for this special occasion, so honing in on effective promotions is key this time of year.
Here are the best ways for preparing for Mother’s Day for your spa and salon:
- Increase revenue by encouraging customers to purchase gift cards
- Promote your special through your social media
- Send out special deals through targeted email campaigns
Gift cards, gift cards, gift cards!
Gift cards are an incredibly lucrative tool for service businesses. Not only are you adding to your bottom line, you’re gaining a new customer and increasing the chances of that customer coming back to your business for repeat business. And let’s be honest here, treating mom to a fresh haircut at her favorite salon or a day of relaxation at the spa tend to be more memorable and meaningful gifts than a bouquet of flowers.
And here’s some more food for thought: almost 25% of moms actually prefer to receive gift cards over any other gift. They’re a slam dunk gift for last minute shoppers, and shoppers who are simply stumped as to what to get the mothers in their lives.
When selling gift cards, here are some tricks of the trade to keep in mind:
- Keep your gift certificates and gift cards on brand and customizable. Whether you’re selling these through your online store or at your physical location, you want to make sure that they’re customized to reflect your brand, your customers and the holiday it’s intended for.
- Make sure your clients are in the know that you sell gift cards. This may seem unbelievable to you, but, it’s not always obvious when a business sells gift cards, in which case, could mean a big loss in sales opportunities. Keep your gift cards on display, near the cash register, or maybe signage for them scattered around the business.
- Promote your gift cards on your website, your social media pages, through email and make sure they are on display in your check out area.
- Cross promote your gift cards with other services and products. Gift cards are a thing of beauty because the customer is in total control of the amount they’re getting. If you find that a client is looking for a supplemental gift to go along with a service they just purchased, gift cards are a great solution to that problem.
- Create a Mother’s Day special offer. For every $100 spent on a gift card, throw in a free product of their choosing. Or create a gift card bundle that includes a gift card, service, and product you’ve chosen beforehand to promote.
Want to offer custom printed gift cards all set to work with your Booker spa & salon management system at your business? Learn more.
Be social about it!
Even though it’s only March, now is an excellent time to start designing Facebook cover photos and Instagram posts for your Mother’s Day promotions. By getting the look and feel in place now, you can start posting about your specials in the weeks leading up to the holiday.
And if you need a little refresher, here are the dimensions to keep in mind for Facebook and Instagram:
- Facebook Cover Image Dimensions (desktop): 851 pixels x 315 pixels
- Facebook Cover Image Dimensions (mobile): 640 pixels x 360 pixels
- Facebook Picture Dimensions: 800 pixels x 800 pixels
- Instagram Picture Dimensions: 1080 pixels x 1080 pixels
*Always remember remember to use high quality photos or illustrations that best represent your business, brand, or any running promotions you may have. You want them to be eye catching and compelling to look at.
Take a look at how DryBar uses social media to drive home their brand’s messaging and promotions:
Also, take note, there are plenty of good, free services you can use to create your images, like Canva. Have fun with it, keep it consistent, and watch your engagement grow.
With social media you’ll be able to keep a steady flow of messaging surrounding your specials and promotions and keeps your current and new clients completely in the loop. Although you want to continue to follow the rule of thirds, your updates should mainly focus on trying to get your customers through the door.
Hashtags are still the best ways for users of social media to follow topics they’re interested in or focusing on at the moment - especially on Instagram. In fact, #MothersDay is used in over 12.5 million posts on the social platform. Keep up with all the best Mother’s Day hashtags or create one unique to your business. #WeLoveMom
Increase Engagement with Giveaways
Create some buzz around your business’ promotions by creating social media challenges to increase engagement. We’ve got some good examples here:
- Tell your followers that the first 5 people to share & comment on your business’ Mother’s Day promotions will receive 15% off their next purchase.
- Give away a gift card or a product from your business for every picture posted of or at your business.
- Tag your mom to a post and you’ll receive 10% off your next appointment
Email Marketing - send out special deals through targeted email campaigns
Mother’s Day is the perfect opportunity to push your email marketing efforts and to send out targeted emails to your current and new clients. This holiday presents you with great material to catch the eyes of your customers and get them back through the door.
Craft a few Mother’s Day promotional emails to keep your customers apprised of your upcoming sales and even provide them with printable or downloadable coupons they can present at your business.
A few things to keep in mind:
- Keep your subject line interesting and snappy
- Provide value to your customers
- Give them a clear call to action
- Provide a booking link to your business
- Downloadable coupon for a discount
- Link to your website to see your different service offerings
Mother’s Day is coming and we hope we’ve given you enough to think about and prepare for. If you’ve got some other great ideas, leave a comment below!
About the AuthorFollow on Twitter Follow on Linkedin More Content by Denise Prichard